Junior riders query

Saturday Morning Rides - Leaving The Village Arcade, 43-45 Burns Bay Rd Lane Cove, at 6:30am sharp.

Moderator: Admin-Lite

Junior riders query

Postby kenloui » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:49 pm

Hi all,

My 13 year old son has expressed interested in joining our group rides.
I'd like to see if I can take him up on that interest, and not let it extinguish.

Obviously we would like to start with C group to see how he goes (and I'd ride with him).
I have a household membership with Bicycle NSW so believe that should cover the insurance side of things.

Can someone please provide the official club policy on junior riders?

Thanks and Happy New Year.
Ken
kenloui

Re: Junior riders query

Postby Juhi » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:04 pm

Hi Ken,

This is an unusual request for our club as we do not get many such enquires.
We have not had any minors ride with Lane CoVelo Club - since i have joined anyway.

Your request is a valid one and will be taken up in the Executive Committee as a point of discussion. The Committee will also request guidance from Cycling Australia for guidelines. When minors are involved the protocol (correctly) is very strict. Insurance is not the only concern of the club or individual. The protection of the minor in all regards is paramount. All members will be notified of the outcome of the discussion and decision.

In the interim, I can recommend perhaps looking into Northern Sydney Cycling Club (NSCC) and Turramurra Cycling Club who already seem to have processes and procedures in place to encourage minors to ride. I say this as we have seen the 'Junior' teams out on the road accompanied by appropriate club representatives and guardians etc.

Best Regards,
Juhi
Juhi

Return to Lane CoVelo Discussion